Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

Vote for your favourite Steve McQueen movie

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

What is your favourite Steve McQueen movie?

Tom Horn
3%
The Towering Inferno
7%
Papillon
10%
The Getaway
3%
Junior Bonner
7%
Le Mans
7%
The Reivers
No votes
Bullitt
13%
The Thomas Crown Affair
3%
The Sand Pebbles
10%
Nevada Smith
3%
The Cincinnati Kid
No votes
Baby The Rain Must Fall
No votes
Love With The Proper Stranger
10%
The Great Escape
13%
The War Lover
No votes
Hell Is For Heroes
3%
The Magnificent Seven
No votes
Wanted: Dead or Alive
7%

Total votes : 30

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:05 am

What is your favourite Steve McQueen movie?

I have included Wanted: Dead or Alive in the list, so the entire series counts as a movie for the purposes of this poll.

Feel free to elaborate further in your posts.
Darren

Re: Vote for your favourite Steve McQueen movie

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:15 am

Well, like others I'm sure, it is very hard for me to pick ONE, but I have chosed Papillon.

I love everything about this film. Powerful, fascinating and at times emotionally overwhealming story, magnificent acting (I really care about the characters), epic scope. Some people say it's boring :? , but it keeps me riveted all the way through.
Darren

Postby birdbrain » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:47 pm

I LOVE them all! I chose THE TOWERING INFERNO. Everyone knows my story of why that film means so much to me[I was trapped in a fire ect..]. I also like it because I thought the part of the Fire Chief fit Steve like a glove. He made a Great Fire Chief! Heroic, a Leader and Courageous all of which Steve was in real life. A manly part for a manly guy!And this was the first movie of his that I got to see in the theater. It was AWESOME on the Big Screen! No other movie came close in my book! The Amazing Effects, the Cast, Steve and Paul, Irwin Allen-need I say more? When I saw Steve in this movie my knees knocked[I became a woman!]. :y: :bow: :rofl: Karen, I would love to own Steve's Fire Chief Hat one day! Only bad thing in the movie-OJ Simpson!
"When there's a fire I outrank everybody here!" "PUNCH IT!" "PUNCH IT BABY!"
birdbrain

Postby Karen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:49 pm

For me is is The Sand Pebbles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love with the Proper Stranger, a close 2nd. Kind of strange, as these are two very different movies.

Maybe in September when I am home and find the time - I can post a quiz with showing many of my pictures of McQueen -like Guess the movie and the actors/actresses. Something like that. Hey Donna, want to go along with your many pictures?
I do know that all Forum members would surely get the answers very very quickly so I guess it would not be much of a brain teaser. :wink:
Karen
Ps.. Darren, Whomever thought Papillon was boring - well they are just not right about that! How about the talk of a re-make of this movie. I just don't know about that. How about Johnny Depp instead of Robert Downy Jr. Maybe Johnny as Vega and Brad Pitt as Henri. Oh just forget the whole thing! Remakes - I just don't think it is a great idea cause people always compare them to the orginals. AND some of the originals are so classic and great that it just can't be done. How can you remake "The Wizard of Oz" or "Citzen Kane"or " It's A Wonderful Life" don't even try for "The Sand Pebbles" I be so :x I could go on and on. Sorry if I am off topic. I get that way many times talking about Steve and movies in general!
Pss... Carmela said I would love to own Steve's Fire Chief Hat one day - Hey Carmela, maybe you will one day! If I come across it in my search for Steve related items I'll let you know asap. I wonder how much that baby would go for!
Karen

Postby sleevemcqueen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:12 pm

I have chosen "Papillon". It is because I love the movie and the book as well. The character of Henri Charrière fascinates me. Plus the collaboration of McQueen and Hoffman may not have been a match made in heaven, but it sure gave us some superb acting. I recently watched "Papillon" again and I love the ending, the two of them standing on that cliff. Excellent!

I own a framed "Papillon" poster (Czech) and the imagery says it all to me. It's so simple, but SO effective.

Pascal.
sleevemcqueen
Cooler King

Postby Gera » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 am

After thinking about it for one day now, I still can't decide which one to pick. Man, this is really though. ... hm ... and where's 'An Enemy of The People'??? It's on my list of top McQueen movies for sure. .... Umm ... I tend to pick Papillon, but ... give me another few hours to think about it :lol:
"It takes fifty years for the majority to be right. And then the majority is never right until it does right"
Gera
Chief Reporter

Postby HILTS3188 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:55 pm

I HAVE GONE FOR BULLITT 8) ...TOO COOL FOR WORDS...

THOUGH WAS GOING FOR WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE...MCQUEEN HONING HIS SKILLS..

AND HELL IS FOR HEROES, VERY CLOSE SECOND...BULLITT AND HELLIS FOR HEROES ARE ALIKE IN MANY WAYS AND SHOWS THE TRUE MCQUEEN SPIRIT IN BOTH.... LEADER, LONER, INDIVIDUAL, COOL 8) 8) ..

SO HARD THOUGH DARREN :bh:

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby birdbrain » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Tony, I love Bullitt too! As well as, Thomas Crown Affair,The Getaway,Junior Bonner,Cincinnatti Kid-OH! Heck! I LOVE them all! :rofl:
birdbrain

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Gera wrote:where's 'An Enemy of The People'???

Sorry Gera, I tried to trim the list a little bit to keep it shorter. Would you have voted for An Enemy of the People? Let us know your vote when you do make it :D
Darren

Postby Gera » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Yes, I considered voting for an Enemy because in that movie he proves that he wasn't only the cool guy but more (and he absolutely matches Ibsens playwrite IMHO). But it's okay, I voted for The Great Escape now, which is as well on the top of my list of favorite McQueen movies. Ahhh they are all soooo good :mrgreen:
"It takes fifty years for the majority to be right. And then the majority is never right until it does right"
Gera
Chief Reporter

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:06 am

Gera wrote:Yes, I considered voting for an Enemy because in that movie he proves that he wasn't only the cool guy but more (and he absolutely matches Ibsens playwrite IMHO). But it's okay, I voted for The Great Escape now, which is as well on the top of my list of favorite McQueen movies. Ahhh they are all soooo good :mrgreen:

Gera, had An Enemy of the People been on the list, would you have voted for it over The Great Escape?

I have a soft spot for Enemy, and like it a lot. It is a shame that very few McQueen fans have seen it. I'd LOVE to see it released on a professional home video format.
Darren

Postby Gera » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:46 am

The "battle" had been between Enemy, Great Escape and Papillon. For Great Escape and Papillon it was more like "close your eyes and tip one" than a decision based on some criteria :lol: But had An Enemy of the People been on the list then it would have been my vote, yes.

McQueen's acting was high class in it!!! Although I do understand why it wasn't a big hit, I truely believe he was misjudged.

It's a shame it isn't available for the mass. I got it from Tony and ... what can I say, I can't thank you enough, Tony :love1:
Gera
Chief Reporter

Postby birdbrain » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:28 pm

I have ENEMY.. on VHS tape. The first time I saw it was when it was broadcast on TV [around the late 70's or early 80's]. I thought Steve was Great in it! 8)
birdbrain

Postby jean-luc » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:27 pm

I vacillated between " The Great Escape " and " Wanted: Dead or Alive ".
I choosed to " Wanted: Dead or Alive " because it is in my mind since I was a kid and it was the first time I saw
Steve McQueen on TV set.
It was only on the mid sixty and there were very few series and this one was
a "peaceful" change with the others cow boys stories.

Jean-Luc
jean-luc
Cooler King

Postby mg » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:57 am

My vote is for Papillon! :D :y: It's my favorite Steve McQueen film! He is perfect in this role (well, he is perfect in all of his roles)! :D I like also a lot the story, the landscapes etc.
mg
Cooler King

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen