Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

Your top 5 McQueen films

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

Your top 5 McQueen films

Postby Darren » Fri May 26, 2006 4:10 am

Rate your top 5 McQueen films, and give your reasons.

(No spoilers please).

Darren.
Darren

Top 5

Postby Donna » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 pm

My Top 5, in no particular order:

The Reivers--because it's funny, and there's a horserace, and Steve has some great lines...
The Magnificent Seven--a classic western based on a Kurosawa film, Seven Samurai--has many of the great male stars of its era.
The Great Escape--every time I see that fence I think maybe this time...
The Sand Pebbles--one of Steve's greatest performances, adapted from one of my favorite books.
The Cincinnati Kid--great performances all around, makes watching poker fascinating.

I also would add

Bullitt, for the car, for the chase, and Steve of course
Papillon, the other best performance
Love With the Proper Stranger--Steve as the romantic lead
The Honeymoon Machine, for the light comedy, and Steve again as romantic lead.
The Blob--Steve's character grows from teenager to responsible young man, and most of the characters are unique individuals.

My bottom 5 would be:

The Towering Inferno--too many big stars make it difficult to believe in the characters, Steve was the best part of it, the most ordinarily believeable
The War Lover--Steve at his nastiest
Soldier in the Rain--Steve at his hammiest
Baby The Rain Must Fall--Steve at his most depressing
Enemy of the People--still a timely story about industrial pollution, and Steve was brave to do it, but I find it really tedious, and Steve has too much hair!

All the rest of his films are in the middle for me--they're all good, I like them, but maybe I haven't viewed them as often.

Donna
Donna
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:14 pm

Maybe I should have said top 10. I find it hard to do a top 5 because I feel like I am leaving a few classics out, but ....

1) The Getaway- pure adrenaline rush from start to finish with great romantic drama/conflict story as well.

2) Papillon - An escape film with so much more than that going for it. Wonderful psychological drama. Great exploration of friendship.

3) The Sand Pebbles- Wonderful emotional/psychological study of the lives of several characters living in tumultuous times and circumstances.

4) The Magnificent Seven- Classic Western.

5) Baby the Rain Must Fall- Exceptional psychological melodrama exploring the theme of emotionally abused people.

Darren.
Darren

Re: Top 5

Postby Donna » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:02 am

Well, Darren, we agree on 3! It certainly is difficult to choose only 5 out of all of Steve's work. People admire different films for different reasons.

I didn't list The Getaway, because while I like Doc McCoy--Doc is a bank robber, and a killer, but he's not a murderer--he's got some scruples, but I really dislike Ali's Carol McCoy--her performance was too wooden, and I may be blind, (or just jealous) but I fail to see any chemistry between them whatsoever. And then there's the Sally Struthers' role--arghh. 'Nuff said.

With Baby, what you said is correct. But it's still a downer. :(

Donna
Donna
Cooler King

Re: Top 5

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:28 pm

Donna wrote:Well, Darren, we agree on 3!

With Baby, what you said is correct. But it's still a downer. :(

Donna

3 ain't bad Donna :D .

I did notice with amusement that Baby was in MY top 5 and YOUR bottom 5 :wink: .
Darren

Top 5 Steve films

Postby Bonner » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:16 pm

Howdy ! New member here.......... My 5 favs amoung Steve's films:

1. Junior Bonner: Maybe its because I love westerns, but this one is a gem. The actor, script and director all converge at the most opportune time to create an evocative look at a man trying to reconcile his values with a changing world. A lyrical, heartfelt slice of Americana......

2. Tom Horn: This one and Junior Bonner make a boxed set. Both feature protagonists who excel at what they do, but find that the world no longer values their skills. McQueen's Horn is his most perfectly realized screen portrayl.

3. The Sand Peebles: The scene where McQueen as Jake Holman first boards the San Pablo is a grand star entrance. His rebel protaganist is the quintessintial McQueen loner.

4. Love with the Proper Stranger: Two movie icons as star-crossed lovers; the blond McQueen and the dark, exotice beauty of Natasha shot on the streets of New York in black and white exentuates their lumiinous looks.

5. Soldier in the Rain: A bittersweet look at Army life pre-Dallas, pre - Vietnam when Camelot was in full bloom. The quirky relationship between Gleason's character and McQueen's somehow works for me; and that barroom fight scene remains one of the best..........
Bonner
Bandito

Postby linda » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Welcome Bonner

Nice List, thanks for sharing your views.

Linda
linda
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:08 pm

Yes, welcome aboard Bonner :D .

I agree with you to a fair degree about Junior Bonner and Tom Horn. Both films are way underrated.

Never seen Soldier In The Rain, but is nice to read some positive reviews about it.

Best,

Darren.
Darren

Top 5 Steve films

Postby Bonner » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:33 pm

Thanks for the welcome. When it came out 42 years ago, most critics panned Soldier. I have seen it several times and it has a quirky feeling about it that I enjoy. Yet at the same time, there is a wistful element to it as well.
There is a memorable scene involving a car wreck and the subsequent entrance of Tuesday Weld's character that is very funny. Jackie Gleason gives a very restrained and sensitive perfomance of a professonal soldier who has a profound understanding of the emphemeral nature of life.
Bonner
Bandito

My top 5

Postby brainbird » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:19 am

I really Love all of Steve's movies for different reasons so this is a little tough for me but here it goes. 1-Towering Inferno- I Love Steve as the Fire Cheif[He did a Great job]. Also, this was the only movie of Steve's that I saw in a theater[memories].2-Love with the Proper Stranger-Cute and funny movie. Steve and Natalie were Great in this movie!3- Bullitt-I love the car chase and Steve's performance! 4-The Getaway-I know it was pretty violent but it is Exciting! 5-I have a tie here The Great Escape and Magnificent Seven-A lot of Testosterone in these two! :wink:
brainbird

Top 5 Steve films

Postby Bonner » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:22 am

Another underappreciated Steve fiim in my opinion is Hell is for Heroes. Steve's role as Reese is just perfect for his laconic say it with an expression instead of 20 pages of script style of acting. And there is another great ensemble cast to boot.
Bonner
Bandito

Top Five

Postby XKSS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:30 pm

1. Great Escape - Before Bullitt it's the definitive McQueen movie - motorcycle, cocky, lone wolf

2. Hell is for Heroes - He's just bad and cool. Plays the role with huge intensity and always bringing the McQueen uniqueness to the role. Butcher knife and Grease Gun.

3. Love with the Proper Stranger - I like the dry wit that he brings to the movie and it's acting - not standing behind explosions saying sarcastic lines

4. Bullitt - well, you can just say Bullitt and sums it up - it's cool to wear a turtle neck.

5. Man From The South - just as a twist - I just dig his style in this one and Tarantino used it.

Runners up:
Soldier in the Rain
Nevada Smith
Mag Seven
XKSS
Cooler King

Re: Top 5 Steve films

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:09 am

Bonner wrote:Another underappreciated Steve fiim in my opinion is Hell is for Heroes. Steve's role as Reese is just perfect for his laconic say it with an expression instead of 20 pages of script style of acting. And there is another great ensemble cast to boot.

XKSS wrote:2. Hell is for Heroes - He's just bad and cool. Plays the role with huge intensity and always bringing the McQueen uniqueness to the role. Butcher knife and Grease Gun.

As XKSS specifically stated, the most fitting one word description of Steve's performance in HIFH for me is...

I N T E N S E

Great early film by director Don Dirty Harry Siegel.

Darren.
Darren

Re: Top Five

Postby Darren » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:17 am

XKSS wrote:5. Man From The South - just as a twist - I just dig his style in this one and Tarantino used it.

Hi XKSS,

I haven't seem MFTS. What film/scene of Tarantino's are you referrring to?

Darren.
Darren

Top 5 Steve films

Postby Bonner » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:09 pm

Another point I wanted to add concerning Junior Bonner is that the early 70's was a great time for "rodeo" films. In addition to "Bonner" there was Cliff Robertson's J.W. Coop (1971), Jimmy Coburn's The Honkers (1972), and When the Legends Die with Richard Widmark and Frederick Forrest (1972). All have something to recommend them, but in my opinion Junior Bonner is the pick of the litter, and a big reaon for it is Steve's performance.
I don't know if his personal troubles at the time added to the wistfullness of the characterization, but McQueen captures the essence of a man somewhat bewildered with the changing west, at the same time trying to hang on to the glory of the past and reconcile a family falling apart. Steve's scene in the honky tonk where he implores Ben Johnson to let him ride Sunshine because "its my hometown" is one of the most evocative of his career.
Bonner
Bandito

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen