Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

Soldier in the Rain on DVD

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

Soldier in the Rain on DVD

Postby Daniel » Mon May 11, 2009 3:56 pm

Finally Soldier in the Rain is now available on DVD :banana:

http://www.wbshop.com/
Attachments
2274541.jpeg
2274541.jpeg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 4916 times
Daniel
Bandito

Re: Soldier in the Rain on DVD

Postby Darren » Tue May 12, 2009 1:43 am

Thanks Daniel. I received an email from another McQueen fan a week ago about this, not long after I had purchased An Enemy of the People. I wish I had gotten it and AEOTP in the same order, but I don't think it was up on the site at the time. I wonder if WB will add any more titles to this list?
Darren

Postby Kandee » Tue May 12, 2009 3:24 am

This is great! thanks for posting!! 8)
Kandee
Cooler King

Postby Daniel » Tue May 12, 2009 11:47 am

Darren wrote:Thanks Daniel. I received an email from another McQueen fan a week ago about this, not long after I had purchased An Enemy of the People. I wish I had gotten it and AEOTP in the same order, but I don't think it was up on the site at the time. I wonder if WB will add any more titles to this list?

I am persuaded Darren to see other titles very interesting in this collection of the W.B.

Now, I wait the movie The Honeymoon Machine on DVD. I hope that The 20th Century-Fox it is envisaged soon in their list. :bow:
Daniel
Bandito

Postby Daniel » Tue May 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
Darren wrote:Thanks Daniel. I received an email from another McQueen fan a week ago about this, not long after I had purchased An Enemy of the People. I wish I had gotten it and AEOTP in the same order, but I don't think it was up on the site at the time. I wonder if WB will add any more titles to this list?

I am persuaded Darren to see other titles very interesting in this collection of the W.B.

Now, I wait the movie The Honeymoon Machine on DVD. I hope that The 20th Century-Fox it is envisaged soon in their list. :bow:

And for the movie Love With the Proper Stranger too of at Paramount Home Video. 8)
Daniel
Bandito

Postby daniel smague » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:13 pm

What does mean (EST-MOD) instead of (DVD) displayed on WB site for the title "Soldier in the rain" ?
daniel smague
Cooler King

Postby jean-luc » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:34 pm

daniel smague wrote:What does mean (EST-MOD) instead of (DVD) displayed on WB site for the title "Soldier in the rain" ?

Isn't the zones problem ?
jean-luc
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:40 am

daniel smague wrote:What does mean (EST-MOD) instead of (DVD) displayed on WB site for the title "Soldier in the rain" ?

Daniel, I asked this same question, and here is the answer from Warner Bros:

The Warner Archive DVDs produced on-demand are similar to, but not quite same as, DVDs you'd buy at the local video store. DVD movies you buy at the local video outlet are manufactured from a mold via a stamping process whereas on-demand DVDs are "burned". MOD stands for Manufactured on Demand. EST stands for Electronic Sell-Through. In the MOD case, EST is used because the DVDs are created using a digital master file. When you see (MOD) or (EST-MOD) in the title, these are both MOD DVDs.
Darren

Postby daniel smague » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Darren wrote:, EST is used because the DVDs are created using a digital master file. When you see (MOD) or (EST-MOD) in the title, these are both MOD DVDs.[/i]

The question to be asked for the highest quality is to know if the master digital file is created from the scan (frame by frame) of the original 35 mm negative of the movie , or a fine grain copy of this negative.

All other methods to create a digital master file before burning a DVD, like transfers from tape or laser disc or even from a positive copy (16 mm and 35 mm) do not furnish the highest quality.
daniel smague
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:24 pm

Daniel, I would say they have used the most cost effective method. Probably sourced from the files they use for TV broadcasts....
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Just thought I'd post this comparison I did between my old bootleg DVD and the new official one. The bootleg was in open matte full screen 4x3 and the official DVD is in the original widescreen aspect ratio. You can see that the bootleg has more picture information on top and bottom but less picture info on the sides.

Official DVD (LEFT) Bootleg (RIGHT)
Attachments
sitrcomparison.jpg
sitrcomparison.jpg (216.52 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 am

The DVD is on special right now (international shipping available).

US $14.98

http://www.deepdiscount.com/deals_dvd_m ... 316174302/
Darren

Postby daniel smague » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 am

I hope that WB will release both "Soldier" and "Enemy" in Europe as DVD Region 2 :bow:
daniel smague
Cooler King

Postby Daniel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:59 pm

For my friend : Je ne pense pas Daniel. D'autant plus que ces deux films n'ont pas été parmi les plus populaires de l'acteur. :roll: Même la Warner ont mis sur le marché les deux DVD accessibles qu'aux résidents américains dans une collection appelée archive vendue seulement et uniquement sur le site web de la Warner.
Daniel
Bandito

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 am

Daniel, I believe these particular Warner "Archive Collection" DVD's are "region free."

daniel smague wrote:I hope that WB will release both "Soldier" and "Enemy" in Europe as DVD Region 2 :bow:
Darren

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen