Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

The Getaway - The final scenes - filmed in Mexico or Texas?

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

The Getaway - The final scenes - filmed in Mexico or Texas?

Postby E.H-57 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Who knows where the final scenes have been filmed , north or south from the Rio Grande?

Doc and Carol McCoy cross the mexican border as passengers of a 1955-56 Chevrolet 3100 1/2 Ton Stepside Truck driven by "Cowboy" (Slim Pickens). You see the pick-up truck next to an industrial building, a parking lot and a playground. Doc asks "Cowboy" to stop on the roadside. The McCoys buy the old truck, and "Cowboy"'s silence, and drive away.
Not that it would change anything to this classic movie, but I'm just curious to know if someone has a clue. The reason why I ask is that one of the vehicles that can be seen on that parking lot (a red Opel GT), is unlikely to be found in Mexico (with only 5 sold in that country, against between 50,000 and 60,000 in the U.S at the time the movie was made). It would be easy to film in Texas and make believe that it is Mexico.
E.H-57
Bandito

Re: The Getaway - The final scenes - filmed in Mexico or Texas?

Postby Daniel Cyr » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:55 pm

On IMDB...

Filming locations for The Getaway (1972)

El Paso, Texas, USA

Fabens, Texas, USA
(Town where shotgun is taken and cop car is shot)

Huntsville, Texas, USA

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
(Veterinarian's office)

San Antonio, Texas, USA

San Marcos, Texas, USA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Cyr
Bandito

Postby E.H-57 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks. I had checked Imdb of course. But that is only one source of information, and I like to cross check facts. So far I have not found any source saying that this scene could have been filmed across the border. It must be north from the Rio Grande, somewhere near El Paso.
E.H-57
Bandito

Postby mike siegel » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:48 am

I have some research material, but not the time right now to go into it. I'll be back...
Filmproduction & Archiv - DVD Supplements / Photos / Posters / Repros / 30er - 80er / OPEL GT Club
Imagehttp://www.eldoradofilm.de [img]
mike siegel
Bounty Hunter

Postby Karen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:49 am

Just something that always sticks in my mind when thinking of this movie .. I love "The Getaway" and this I am sure is not answering the question
but.....

I just remember reading that when Steve was flying over El Paso Texas,, the time he was sick and getting treatments in Mexico...he asked his nurse where are we and his nurse Teena replied, flying over El Paso and Steve said "Oh El Paso where I fell in love"

I ve always felt Ali was the love of his life ....like Pat Johnson once stated.

Karen
Karen

Postby Karen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:28 am

reseaching myself as I too am interested ...but Mike is the expert on this film...anyway this is what I found so far...

Locations:

El Paso, Texas, United States, Huntsville, Texas, United States, San Antonio, Texas, United States, San Marcos, Texas, United States

also....
interesting facts.........

According to Filmfacts, Jack Palance was intially cast in the film but was replaced by Al Lettieri prior to production.

To get permission to release the film in Spain, which at the time was ruled by Francisco Franco, an additional sequence was tacked onto the end in which McCoy is captured and returned to prison, because it's bad for the moral health of the people to show that criminals can escape from paying their debt to society.

The radio station playing at the drive-in restaurant is WHIL, an obvious reference to scriptwriter 'Hill, Walter' .

The orange Volkswagen Beetle that Steve McQueen and Ali MacGraw pass as they flee town after the bank heist is driven by James Garner. Garner had been visiting a friend on the shoot and was hired for his vehicular skills by stunt vet Carey Loftin.

Shot almost entirely in sequence.

Karen
Karen

Postby Karen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:25 am

Ps...I have a letter from Gordon Dawson thanking the set builder for all of his hard work on the Texas locations.
but I also have a letter from Robert Aldrich stating he s sitting up here in the desert (Nogales) waiting to finish this picture.

Karen
Karen

Postby mike siegel » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:38 am

So you bought the lot :)
You were lucky, 15 minutes later and I would have bought it.
Any chance to buy the belt buckle or staff list from you :)
Filmproduction & Archiv - DVD Supplements / Photos / Posters / Repros / 30er - 80er / OPEL GT Club
Imagehttp://www.eldoradofilm.de [img]
mike siegel
Bounty Hunter

Postby Karen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Yes that's me!
Karen
PM me Mike
Karen

Postby ggomez5512 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 am

The scene where McQueen and MacGraw are stopped at a police roadblock was filmed at the intersection of Westside Dr (old Texas Farm Road 260) and Country Club Road in the Upper Valley area of El Paso. Run the scene frame by frame and you will see the street sign and Farm Road 260 sign behind MacGraw thru the car window as they approach the roadblock. FYI: Had they proceeded straight ahead towards the Sunset Acres horse farm in the background instead of turning onto Westside Drive they would have crossed into New Mexico.

The final scenes in the old truck with Slim Pickens were filmed in Anapra/Sunland Park, New Mexico northwest of El Paso. After dropping off Pickens and driving away as the credits rolled, they were actually travelling north on NM State Hiway 273, aka McNutt Road. They were heading towards the aforementioned Westside Dr/Country Club intersection instead of south into Mexico as portrayed in the movie.
I grew up in this area and watching these scenes always brings back a lot of memories of home :)

ggomez5512
Tucson, AZ
ggomez5512
Bandito

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen