Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

WHAT MCQUEEN FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN?

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

WHAT MCQUEEN FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN ON THE BIG SCREEN?

Postby GAL BEAR » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:41 pm

I think I have only every seen the TOWERING INFERNO.
I was 14 when it came out and had only got 'interested' in STEVE the year before when I saw him on the TV (Great escape & Love with the proper Stranger).

I wish I had seen more of STEVE'S films the way they were meant to have been seen.

WOW ! to see him 100 feet high must have been awsome !

So come on guys which ones have you all seen?
'It's out of control and heading your way". Steve Mcqueen to Paul Newman in the TOWERING INFERNO
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Postby Karen » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:50 pm

Gosh I hate to admit this but I don't remember seeing Steve on the big screen. :oops: I am 50. :( YUK! AGE! I don't like the sound of 50 but what can you do!

I did not start liking McQueen until around 6 years ago when I first watched The Sand Pebbles on Turner Classic Movies, then I got hooked.

I guess if I did see a McQueen movie on the big screen it was probably The Towering Inferno with my first boyfriend back in the 70's when it first came out.

Karen
Karen

Postby Donna » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:52 pm

The only one I saw on the big screen was Tom Horn. I remember I hated the ending.

Donna
Donna
Cooler King

Big Screen

Postby birdbrain » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:31 pm

I remember it was "The Towering Inferno"[I might have seen one before this one, I can't remember.]I Love Steve in this movie and he was still so Handsome and Sexy! I told the story on another thread about how I was trapped in a fire the year before and how it took a lot of guts to go and see this movie. [I was only 9 yrs. old.] I went to see it because I loved Steve! I had seen him in movies on TV and fell in love with him. I couldn't wait to see him on the Big Screen in this movie. It was Great! I will never forget how Great that movie was on the Big Screen! The effects and all the Big name stars. It will never be duplicated. It will always be the Greatest Disaster movie in my book! Step aside Leonardo and "The Titanic"! Carmela
"When there's a fire I outrank everybody here!" "PUNCH IT!" "PUNCH IT BABY!"
birdbrain

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:57 pm

I've seen Bullitt at the movie theatre on a doublebill with Dirty Harry.

I also have a dim memory of seeing a film which might have been The Towering Inferno at the drive in when I was a kid.

Darren.
Darren

Big Screen

Postby XKSS » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I'm 43 and one of my first memories - watching The Great Escape at the Drive-In.

The Great Escape
Bullitt (which is great at the drive-In)
Mag 7
Le Mans
The Reivers
On Any Sunday
Nevada Smith
Tom Horn
The Hunter
XKSS
Cooler King

Re: Big Screen

Postby GAL BEAR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:18 pm

XKSS wrote:I'm 43 and one of my first memories - watching The Great Escape at the Drive-In.

The Great Escape
Bullitt (which is great at the drive-In)
Mag 7
Le Mans
The Reivers
On Any Sunday
Nevada Smith
Tom Horn
The Hunter

WOW, thats' amazing, you have seen quite a few!

We don't have 'drive-in's' in the UK!
That is something which is so quintissentially 'American' to us here.
I guess the reason is most americans were a lot richer than the British in the 50's and 60's. When I was a little girl in the 60's it was VERY rare for
anyone to own a car.

There are too many cars here now unfortunately !!!
'It's out of control and heading your way". Steve Mcqueen to Paul Newman in the TOWERING INFERNO
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Drive-In

Postby XKSS » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 pm

The drive-in was always a wild place to see a movie. We didn't have a lot of money - so, it was a cheap way to take the entire family to the movies. We had a 59 Chevy forever - as a kid I always pretended we were in the Batmobile. (59 Chevy Impala - BIG fins)

But on the other hand I've been to London a few times and I dig your "Tubes". America is in a twist now cause they didn't develope the mass transit like they should have. And remember the UK is where the XKSS came from .. it's always on how you look at it... and so it goes
XKSS
Cooler King

Re: Drive-In

Postby GAL BEAR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 pm

[quote="XKSS"]The drive-in was always a wild place to see a movie. We didn't have a lot of money - so, it was a cheap way to take the entire family to the movies. We had a 59 Chevy forever - as a kid I always pretended we were in the Batmobile. (59 Chevy Impala - BIG fins)

If you saw a film at a 'drive-in' did you have to have a 'convertable' or could you hear the film inside a 'closed roof' car?

Do they still have 'drive ins' in US. Don't seem to see them much anymore.

It must have been great growing up in the US!
I have always loved everything american, when I was young I would watch American films and be amazed at how well-off most people seemed to be, Wow you had things like FRIDGES years before we had them......
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Drive-In part2

Postby XKSS » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:16 pm

At the drive-in you had a spot to park your car. At each spot you had a large metal speaker (about the size of a loaf of bread) they were attached to a meatl pole by a speaker wire . The poles stuck out of the ground about four feet. When you arrived at the drive-in you took the speaker off the pole and hooked it to the top of your driver side window. The speaker had a volume control etc.

This where the fun comes in. Some times people would get drunk or just forget and drive off with the speaker hooked to their window - or, in the throws of passion, kick their car out of gear and have it roll down the hill into another car - or back into one of those speaker poles. Half the fun of going to the drive-in was watching the other people.

The drive-in kind of died out but are starting to make a come back. I read last year that in the US they actually built about thirty new ones.
XKSS
Cooler King

Re: Drive-In part2

Postby GAL BEAR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:18 pm

XKSS wrote:At the drive-in you had a spot to park your car. At each spot you had a large metal speaker (about the size of a loaf of bread) they were attached to a meatl pole by a speaker wire . The poles stuck out of the ground about four feet. When you arrived at the drive-in you took the speaker off the pole and hooked it to the top of your driver side window. The speaker had a volume control etc.

This where the fun comes in. Some times people would get drunk or just forget and drive off with the speaker hooked to their window - or, in the throws of passion, kick their car out of gear and have it roll down the hill into another car - or back into one of those speaker poles. Half the fun of going to the drive-in was watching the other people.

The drive-in kind of died out but are starting to make a come back. I read last year that in the US they actually built about thirty new ones.

EXCELLENT thanks for that, always wondered how they worked.

You are lucky you Yanks, you had such great things!
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Postby MCQ3188 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:00 pm

Look how many are on TV this month:

The Thomas Crown Affair
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Sand Pebbles
Papillon
The Magnificent Seven
Love with the Proper Stranger
Junior Bonner
Hell Is for Heroes
The Great Escape
The Getaway
The Cincinnati Kid

I'm a little surprised to see "Love" and "Hell" and "Bonner", but I think that's very cool that they still run them. Now too bad I don't get all of those channels since I don't own any of his movies! I've been renting them, and they're not all available in the rental places. I guess I'll begin buying. Oh no! A collector is born!
MCQ3188
Cooler King

Postby Stratocus » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:17 pm

Well, I'm 57 and I think I've probably seen most of Steve's films on the big screen long before I saw them on TV... It wasn't unusual, when I was 8, for me to go to the cinema on my own for a Saturday matinee of something like The Blob and while I can't say that his performance made much of an impression I'll never forget the scene where the Blob oozes through the air vent...

Bullit was an amazing film experience at the time. There'd been nothing quite like it on film, before. There'd been gritty cop movies but none with quite the brooding energy of this one. And then, of course, there's the car chase. I actually watched the film again, last night, and it still blows me away. And Steve, who was always the definition of Cool, was so on target in his performance.

I guess it just goes to show how subliminal impressions can have an effect: in my business I have to carry a firearm and, although mine's a .357 Magnum Smith & Wesson, I realised, last night, that I wear the same shoulder holster rig (which I only bought a year ago) that Steve wore in Bullit, which I probably hadn't seen in ten years... I guess all I need, now, is a 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390 Fastback...? :wink:
Stratocus
Bandito

Big screen McQueen...

Postby JV » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:57 am

I’m a couple months from turning 44, so I got to see several McQueen films when they first came out in theaters. My dad says he took me to see “Bullitt” when I was five (1968). I have a very vague memory of that.

I saw “Papillon” in the theater. “The Getaway” and “Junior Bonner," too.

I remember fairly well my dad taking me to see “The Towering Inferno”(which is my all-time favorite movie) at a theater in Hollywood. That was a day that changed my life; it got me totally interested in filmmaking (I’m a screenwriter now).

I remember going with some friends to see “The Hunter.”

I still go see special theatrical screening of McQueen films. I'll tell ya, there’s nothing like seeing Steve on the BIG screen. He’s amazing. The audience is totally riveted by him.

I remember seeing “Bullitt” at a special screening at the Chinese Theater back in, I think, 1998, and the audience went absolutely wild (cheers and applause) when the chase came to its crashing conclusion. Man, what a moment.

I went to another screening of “Bullitt” about 4 years ago and William Fraker (cinematographer) was there along with Bud Ekins (stuntman and McQueen pal), and Al Checco (who played the motel manager), and Pat Renella (the “real” Johnny Ross).

I’ve also seen special screening of “The Thomas Crown Affair” (looks great on a big screen!), and “The Great Escape” (truly one of the best movies ever made).

If you get a chance to see a Steve McQueen movie on the big screen...enjoy!
Visit me at http://www.TheWorkingScreenwriter.com -- a site for the pre-pro screenwriter!
JV
Junior Bounty Hunter

Bullitt

Postby XKSS » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:08 pm

I saw an interview with Bud Ekins where he talked about Bullitt and how it was one of the first movies that people went back to see numerous times - I think as a kid I saw it twice at the drive-in
XKSS
Cooler King

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen