Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

The War Lover

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

The War Lover

Postby gilles » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:12 am

I had in Christmas “The war Lover” Film which I had never seen. It is excellent!
Steve is splendid in this role. He is always also persuasive in his actions and his convictions. What a charisma!

The end of film is terrible, but that always confirms its obsession to always go at the end of the things. a very strong mixture of madness, passion and going beyond of oneself.

I believe also that it missed after having driven cars, motor bikes, boat, plane ............ a train…! it is made thing.

What think of this film?
it is henceforth one of my preferred films. :-)

Gilles
"There's something about my shaggy-dog eyes that makes people think I'm good."
gilles
Cooler King

Postby mcqueen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:20 am

I love this film. Has the old feel to it. The young McQueen in B&W is cool.

Great movie.
The secret of a good life is to have the right loyalties and hold them in the right scale of values.
mcqueen
Cooler King

Postby Darren » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 am

I like TWL a lot.

Gilles have you seen Hell Is For Heroes?

Darren.
Darren

Postby gilles » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:37 pm

Yes Darren I have it in Dvd.:-) It is also a very good film. It is true that the parralele is to be made between these two films

In "Hell Is For Heroes"The physical work of the actor is sumptuous and seldom, one will have seen in films Hollywood such a soldier, played in this manner, very cat-like, very reactive, with a hallucinated glance but into same heavy, a dead glance.
The setting in scene is obviously of any beauty. No the ornament, not of romanticism or lyricism: the camera is quite simply there, in the action, on the faces of the men who crack or who fight. Not by impudor, not, the camera refuses simply hypocrisy while wanting to show the war through the reactions of the people who live it.
One saw it crossing all the lines, succeeding in putting the bomb in the blockhouse, and simply, the guys inside revival the bomb outside, like a vulgar paper pellet. The head which Steve McQueen makes then, is brilliant: it does not believe in it! It does not believe that the enemy can get rid so easily of all his act :wink:.
Again, the ridiculous one of the war :x
Also it's one of the first role of James coburn.

In all these these two films are major for me in the catalogue of films of Steve :-)

Gilles
gilles
Cooler King

War Lover and Hell is for Heroes

Postby XKSS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:08 pm

First of all Hell is for Heroes is in my top three McQueen movies. When ever I suggest McQueen films I always throw that one in there. There's no kidding around in the role Reese.

The War Lover is a good film. McQueen, I think does some good acting as "sociopath" and the story is better than average WWII flick - my chief complaint is the F/X - I'd love to go in there and edit it with some new CGI F/X.
XKSS
Cooler King

war lover

Postby GAL BEAR » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:27 pm

If its the film I am thinking of (Robert Wagner co-stars) its not one of my fave MCQUEEN films. Only cos he plays a bit of a baddie, I hate seeing him like that.

I also think the acting from SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD is quite the worst I have seen from any actress ever!

Did you notice a very young teenage MICHAEL CRAWFORD (Phantom of the Opera star) in the film, he had quite a big part in it.....
'It's out of control and heading your way". Steve Mcqueen to Paul Newman in the TOWERING INFERNO
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Postby gilles » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm

I also think the acting from SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD is quite the worst I have seen from any actress ever!

Hi Gal Bear

I find that the set of SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD is some share very good.
This with dimensions unreal and shifted that I do not get out of order.
But that remains my personal opinion :D

Gilles
gilles
Cooler King

Postby mcqueen » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:37 pm

Did you notice a very young teenage MICHAEL CRAWFORD (Phantom of the Opera star) in the film, he had quite a big part in it.....

OH BETTY!

:lol:
The secret of a good life is to have the right loyalties and hold them in the right scale of values.
mcqueen
Cooler King

POST SUBJECT

Postby HILTS3188 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:19 pm

GAL I TOO FOUND THAT HER ACTING IS THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN AND SPOILT THE FILM FOR ME AS A WHOLE BUT STILL SOME GOOD MCQUEEN MOMENTS

I LOVED THE WAY HE GOT OUT OF BED IN BARRACKS SOMETHING SO SIMPLE BUT BRILLIANT

-----------------------------------------
"TO PART IS TO DIE A LITTLE"----"THINK OF STEVE TODAY"
HILTS3188

Postby GAL BEAR » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:35 pm

[
I find that the set of SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD is some share very good.
This with dimensions unreal and shifted that I do not get out of order.
But that remains my personal opinion :D

Gilles
[/quote]

Gilles, Je ne comprend pas !!!!

But, Please don't respond in french, as my french is 100 times worse than
your English!!!
Gal Bear
'It's out of control and heading your way". Steve Mcqueen to Paul Newman in the TOWERING INFERNO
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

Postby gilles » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi Gal :-)

I am as max in Nevada Smith when it learns how to read :D.
I will try to be more readable. :roll:

I said that the way of playing SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD in “The war lover” is well. I explain......( i try )

Steve plays extraordinarily well in this film.(it is completely hallucinated )
SHIRLEY ANNE FIELD plays extraordinarily badly.(but perfect for a film of François truffaut or Jean-Luc godard, because in France there was this we called “La nouvelle vague” or it was wise to play false :-) )

Thus balance is done between the two characters. Finally this oposition releases a particular atmosphere. And I like this a little unreal side !!
That gives a particular tone which I like.:D

I do not know if it is more comprehensible ...
afflicted for my poor English… French is not very strong in foreign languages. :?

Gilles
gilles
Cooler King

Postby DannyB » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:37 pm

Just watched this film at work (naughty I know but couldnt resist)...Loved it..shan't be getting into an Aircraft with anyone resembling the persona played by Steve McQueen.

Super film I think the graphics / effects are perfect its an old film which deserves to look that way, its most of the charisma of watching the old black and white movies. Similar to listening to an old Gramophone or vinyl record...too much is too digitised and too crisp in the world to day, gimme some crackle and blurryness anyday really sets the scene and gets you involved.

It was a real shame to see the plane crash but you could see it was coming, the determination in his eyes to will the plane over that cliff was a great shot.

You can see where Memphis Belle comes in with its story line (one of my other favourtie WW2 films). The War Lover is a real treasure of a film that im proud to own...Hell is for Heroes next, hopefully before the boss catches me watching movies at work 8)
DannyB
Cooler King

Postby gilles » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:17 pm

I agree with you Danny. Very realistic film and we are far from bruce Willis and Die Hard 4! :lol:

careful .. the boss .. 8)
gilles
Cooler King

War lover

Postby bromhead » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:57 pm

When the war lover was made,61? the three flying B17s made a pr tour of the U S to promote the film,one appeared in chicago,cold winter day at a lakefront airport doing flybys etc my father,48 missions B17 crew,drove thru a wooden horse watching it. Great book about the making of the film and the tour,Everything but the flak,,Martin Caidin.. Mcqueens acting as the pilot the usual "making it his own" method carrys the role where a lot of others wouldnt. Like most black and white films there is a reluctence to air it much.
There are cars,then there is transportation.
bromhead
Bandito

Postby Donna » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm

great story about your dad, hope he didn't damage the car too much--it would have been a sight tro see, that bomber overhead, oh yeah.

Caidin's book is superb; the hardcover is rare and expensive--but I got one! :D

Donna
Donna
Cooler King

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen