Steve McQueen Online
home | films | images | cars & bikes | humanitarian | guns | collectables | racing | forum | books | doco's | guest spots | fashion | video downloads | stage | archives | shop | links
Steve McQueen Steve McQueen

HOW DID YOU FIRST GET INTERESTED IN STEVE ?

Discuss the films of Steve McQueen.

HOW DID YOU FIRST GET INTERESTED IN STEVE ?

Postby GAL BEAR » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:59 pm

I was about 14 years old (I think). (it was about 1973 I think).

I had already seen Steve in THE GREAT ESCAPE which was shown EVERY CHRISTMAS in those days.

I had always thought of Steve McQueen (who was at the height of his fame when I was growing up) as a bit of a 'macho type' and not really my type in that respect.

But when I saw the GREAT ESCAPE the thing I liked about him was his
'wit' and the fact that he made me laugh, he was very 'amusing' which is funny to think that now, as people do not tend to think of him like that.

But i kind of forget about him till a few months later my twin sister and I stayed up late to watch LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER. We were only watching it because we liked NATALIE WOOD.

We were both completely blown away by him, and what is more amazing (from a purely female point of view - sorry guys) is that we could not even see his blue eyes as it was a Black & white film!

The film (and both their performances) really affected my sister and I.
in fact we loved the film so much we promptly wrote to ITV the next day to ask when they were going to show it again ! This was in the days before Video and DVD of course. As it turned out we would have to wait a rediculous 14 years before it was shown again !!!

We both fell in love with Steve in a big way !
in fact up to that point my sister kept a colour pricture of PAUL NEWMAN under her bed (she thought we never knew but we did!).
Well, i noticed after she saw LWTPS she proptly dumped NEWMAN!

In LWTPS STEVE gives a remarkable performance. His acting, especially in the close-up scenes is quite amazing. You can read every emotion on his face without him ever saying a word. I can't recall many actors this is true of.

The scene which really gripped our 14 year old hearts and ensured we fell for him big time is where he helps arrange an abortion for NATALIE WOOD. He has only met her once before when he has a one night stand with her and gets her pregnent.

Anyway they both arrive at a seedy back-room for the abortion. You can tell from his face and his fantastic acting that STEVE really does not want to go thru with it. Even though he has only known NATALIE's character ANGIE a very short while, he is starting to have feelings for her......

Anyway as the abortion is about to proceed, STEVE (waiting in another room) suddenly realises this is not right..... he breaks the door down and
'cradles' a hysterical ANGIE in his arms...... "I'll kill them before I'd let them touch you, I'd kill them ! " he tells her.

GOD my sister and I were smitten from that scene on!

I think the first time we saw STEVE in colour was several years later when my Dad got a colour TV and we saw him in the THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR! God he was gorgeous !!!

We were beside ourselves when a few short years later (when we were both about 19) STEVE and NATALIE died a few months apart.
It was so tragic.

I don't think he ever found a leading lady who re-acted off him as well as she, they had real Charisma together.

In her book about NATALIE, Lana Wood claims that Natalie had an affair with STEVE on the making of the film. I know (from another NATALIE book) that they dated for a few months in the early 70's (before Natalie got back with RJ). All I can say is Lucky NATALIE.

No male actor will ever come even close to him, especially in the Charisma stakes and I think he was probably the most under-rated actor ever.

Anyway that's my story, how did you all first get insterested in STEVE ?
'It's out of control and heading your way". Steve Mcqueen to Paul Newman in the TOWERING INFERNO
GAL BEAR
Cooler King

how I got interested in steve

Postby birdbrain » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:56 am

Gal, I LOVE THE MOVIE "LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER"! Steve looked so young and Handsome in the movie! Even though it's B/W you can still notice how beautiful his eyes were! I wish they would colorize this one! Also, I love the funny Italian families from New York[I'm Italian and from New York].Getting back to the topic. In the early 70's I became aware of Steve McQueen. I have 3 older brothers who always idolized him and watched his movies.I don't remember what movie I saw first but it had to be one of these three-"Nevada Smith", Great Escape" or "The Getaway".Anyway, I was hooked. Whenever channel9 had Steve McQueen week I was glued to the TV all week. When "The Towering Inferno" came out, I couldn't wait to see it. I loved Steve as the Fire Cheif. By the way, He was still Handsome when he made this movie! I was trapped in a fire a year before this movie came out, so the movie hit a sentimental cord with me. Steve was a Great Actor, just look how he "steels the movie" from other leading men.He did it to Yul, Paul, James and others and they were all Great actors themselves!
"When there's a fire I outrank everybody here!" "PUNCH IT!" "PUNCH IT BABY!"
birdbrain

McQueen

Postby mayfiebl » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:24 pm

Well for me as a 48 year old (current) I grew up in a area that had a famous MX track, as well as a brother in the LAPD, Between seeing some of his movies and actually seeing him and family at Indian Dunes, The influence of my brother and friends seeing Steve as a idol of their era, it just seemed natural, He was one of us, He rode where we rode, His son and daughter were close to my age and I remember seeing them at the track as well, Later I went in the Service as a Tanker and went on to race Motorcycles and Cars, I have raced at several places Steve raced at and I think of his talents from time to time. It really is a shame to have somebody like that leave the planet. I grew up and still live in areas he was common in, its weird.Over the years I kinda put the thought of him behind but now as I approach 49 I seem to have found a new found interest in him. I have seen his son and new family at" Day in the Dirt "and Steve would be proud, His kid turned out a good dude,His poor Daughter left way too soon and the wives and friends he left behind have a ton of memories to fall back on, Yes I read his first wifes book and felt Steve was a bit of a a hole...but as I get older and watch people of fame, He was no different than you or I, May you rest in peace my friend as you were in someways every mans man.
Brian(Southern California)[/img]
Love Motorcycles and Cars work in the Aircraft Industry.
mayfiebl
Cooler King

Postby HILTS3188 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:48 pm

HI EVERYONE I AM A 42 YEAR OLD MALE FROM LIVERPOOL, AND FEEL OUT OF PLACE REALLY WITH ALL THESE WOMEN LOVING STEVE MCQUEEN, BUT I AM POSITIVE THIS WILL DISSAPEAR AS EVERYONE HAS BEEN VERY FRIENDLY SINCE I JOINED.

I FIRST SAW MCQUEEN IN THE GREAT ESCAPE WHEN I WAS A CHILD AT CHRISTMAS PROBABLY AND FROM THAT DAY TILL NOW AND PROBABLY TILL I DIE HE HAS MADE A MARK ON ME..

FIRST THING THAT APPEALED TO ME AS I HIT MY TEENS WAS HIS PURE MACHISMO HE HAD IT ALL THE LOOKS , THE STYLE AND THE PRESENCE,.. AS THE SAYING GOES" EVERY MAN WANTS TO BE HIM AND EVERY WOMAN WANTS TO BE WITH HIM"..

AS I GOT OLDER I THEN DEDICATED MY TIME AND DEDICATION TO HIM, I HAVE EVERY BOOK WRITTEN ON HIM, AUTHENTIC SIGNATURES OF HIMSELF HIS WIVES HIS CHILDREN AND MANY OF HIS CO-STARS

I HAVE AN ITEM FROM HIS NEVADA AUCTION AND NUMEROUS OTHER ARTIFACTS OF HIM..

WHENEVER I LOOK AT HIS FILMS I AM STILL AFTER 27 YEARS AMAZED BY HIS ACTING ABILITY AND SCREEN PRESENCE..

HE HAD IT ALL, I BELIEVED HE WAS VERY UNDERVALUED IN HIS ABILITY BY HIMSELF AND THE MOTION PICTURE INDUSTRY, AS EVEN NOW DUE TO THE WORLD WE LIVE IN AND THE LACK OF SO CALLED ACTORS AND CELEBRITES , HAS STEVE MCQUEEN BEING SEEN AS ICONIC..

WHEN I READ HIS BOOKS I STILL GET UPSET WHEN I GET TO HIS TIME IN NEW MEXICO(DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL LIKE THIS)..

I AM STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHAT IT IS THAT IS GREAT ABOUT HIM AND I AM STILL TRYING, WHEN I THINK OF HIM I HAVE IMAGES OF HIS FILMS THE LINES HE SAYS "HILTS, CAPTAIN HILTS" THE LOOKS HE GAVE OVER HIS TOYS IN HIS BLACK GLASSES IN THE HUNTER LOOKING AT HIS PREGNANT WIFE, AND OF HIS HOME LIFE WITH HIS KIDS( SOME GREAT PICTURES OF HIM IN THE WILLIAM CLAXTON BOOK)..

DON GORDON HIS FRIEND SAID "I STILL CANT LOOK AT HIM IN HIS FILMS EVEN AFTER ALL THESE YEARS" AND I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT FEELING AND I WASNT HIS FRIEND SO IMAGINE WHAT THAT MUST BE LIKE FOR THEM..

HE MADE SUCH AN IMPACT ON PEOPLE AROUND HIM WHO KNEW HIM AND THOSE THAT DIDNT( LOOK AT US ALL)..

SO THAT VERY THINLY IS HOW I GOT TO KNOW STEVE MCQUEEN I HOPE I DIDNT BORE YOU TOO MUCH BUT YOU DID ASK :D..

HOPE TO SPEAK TO YOU MORE SOON TONY
HILTS3188

tony

Postby birdbrain » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:16 am

Very well put Tony! I am also 42 years old. I enjoyed reading your post very much! Welcome! Carmela
"When there's a fire I outrank everybody here!" "PUNCH IT!" "PUNCH IT BABY!"
birdbrain

Postby MCQ3188 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:48 pm

I'm 34. My dad is a McQueen fan. I remember watching The Great Escape with him when I was a kid, and later Papillon.

I never saw any other McQueen movies and hadn't thought much about him in my adult life until recently. I caught Escape on TV and asked my parents for their old McQueen movies for kicks. I was smitten all over again, but now as an adult, I saw him for what a great actor he was, not just the funny guy in time out (cooler). I got interested. I read Terrill's bio. I watched lots of his movies.

So I'm a new fan, technically. I'm just now discovering what I was too young to appreciate the first time around.
MCQ3188
Cooler King

Postby Karen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:08 am

Love this question!
I always heard of Steve McQueen. Never thought much about him, until I watched "The Sand Pebbles". Then I watched, "Love with the Proper Stranger".
After that I just had to keep watching McQueen movies. There is just something about him!! I'm hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 2 movies I mentioned are my favorites.
Tom Horn is a role that Steve played beautifully!
"Baby the Rain Must Fall" is good and so is "Soldier in the Rain".
"Hell is for Heros" is McQueen is a good role playing a cold, moody GI.
I remember when I was about 30 and I saw a part of the "Getaway". where Sally Struthers husband was hanging in the shower I was so upset I told my hubby how do you watch these terrible movies. Now I like that movie. McQueen had such sex appeall in that movie and he was about 42 years old then.
My husband has a black 2006 Mustang the license plate reads STEV MCQ
People ask about it and remember Steve McQueen. GREAT!!!!
I am a huge McQueen fan. My kids and hubby think I am nuts, but they deal with it!
Karen

hi

Postby the_banditJJZ109 » Mon May 14, 2007 6:05 pm

hi folks .

well im in scotland and im only 23 , and was born before the legend died ,

i first "met " steve 1 sat night in bullitt , my dad said that the best car chase of its time was in the film , me being a petrol head myself was loving this , and thats where the admiration started from ,

i then looked into steve further and read about him , and could relate to some of the situations he had been in and felt , i feel i have a connection with him , but we all have or we wouldnt be here i guess,

i have went from that 1 9 minute section in bullitt -to owning every dvd that he is on and even a documentery he has narrated , and have collected a great amount of memorabilia etc ,

i love cars like steve and bikes and my dream is to own something that he has touched with his magic ,

cheers mark
"I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat."
the_banditJJZ109
Cooler King

Postby MCQ3188 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:49 pm

Bandit,
I was introduced to Steve through my dad growing up, too. I only recently remembered him again and decided to watch his other movies and read about his life. It's been great being part of this group. Great people who really care about Steve.
Glad to have you with us.
Beth MCQ3188
MCQ3188
Cooler King

thanks

Postby the_banditJJZ109 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 pm

thanks beth , the site is great , and have learned so much more already about him , its great to be with like minded people such as yourselfs !

mark
"I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat."
the_banditJJZ109
Cooler King

Postby Ivette » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 pm

I was born in the Soviet Union and grew up and lived nealy half of my life behind "iron curtain", so I didn`t know about Steve McQueen existence for a long time. :shock: I can imagine how wild it sounds for you all. But this was in the days before video and we could see only 1-2 american films a year (not the best) that were being shown at cinema.
Once I wanted to see "Thomas Crown affair" with Brosnan because I heard it was a good film. I was lucky because in videoclub there wasn`t film with Brosnan and I was told there was an original film of 1968 "that was also very good". I felt that I like this film from the first seconds. Than I was smitten, fascinated by Steve and his acting ability. I decided to find his other movies, all that I could find. I didn`t know but felt that something terrible occured to him because all the movies were old. Afterwards I`ve found out that he died when I was 10 years old.
He is really great actor. I`m not a teenager, at my age to fall in love with an actor! But I can`t stop watching his films.
Ivette
Bandito

Postby robmcqfan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:56 pm

well i was very very young,i remember 2 movies by mcqueen the great excape,when he jumped the hill with his motorcycle,actually it was (bud etkins)but when i first saw that,i was hooked with motorcycles and cars,and the second one was the hunter,i was 8 or 9 and i remember this guy on top of a train,hanging off of it,and he was wearing a green puffy jacket,i found out later it was mcqueen,i dont know what it truly is,hes unique in his own way.hes magic....i wish i could have met him...
robmcqfan
Cooler King

Re: HOW DID YOU FIRST GET INTERESTED IN STEVE ?

Postby Boon Hoggenbeck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:59 am

Well, it was Christmas, early 80s can't remember exactly which. I would have been about 7 or 8. It was Boxing Day, and a rather tedious aunt had come to visit and I was bored and wanted to watch a video I had got for Christmas, but couldn't because my dad was recording something (which turned out to be 'the Magnificent Seven') so, with only 3 channels back then, my viewing options were limited to what he was recording or whatever dross was on the other channels. I chose the film and was pretty quickly hooked. Not so much by the film itself, I had missed the first half-hour or so and wasn't entirely clear what was happening, and wasn't really taken with westerns anyway being as how Sci-fi was all the rage among kids my age with Star Wars, Star Trek etc dominating the scene. But i was very taken with the performance of one of the gunslingers who just completely stole the picture, dominating every scene he was in. I asked my dad afterwards "who is the guy in the pink shirt?" and, of course, got the answer STEVE McQUEEN. He was so dominant in it, I thought he was the star of the picture, not third billing!

Of course, years later, when I read all the McQueen biogs, and watched the documentarys i realised it had been his tactic to wrench that picture away from Yul Brynner and make a name for himself. Hell, it certainly worked for me!

So i watched the film all the way through the next day, and asked my dad if he had any other McQueen films on tape; he had 'the Great Escape' so i watched that too and loved it. And then, in those pre-internet days, I made a list of his films from my dad's 'Halliwell's Filmgoers Companion', and kept a special eye out for any time his films came on TV. Even if the film itself was not too great, the presence of McQueen always made it watchable.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
Boon Hoggenbeck
Bandito

Postby McQueenLover14 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:53 pm

I just recently became a fan!!! My first McQueen movie was The Magnificent Seven, what really made him stand out in that film for me was his blond hair, blue eyes, and his charm! The scene that made me fall in love was when he rides shotgun on the hearse with Yul! Since then I have gotten addicted to Steve!!! My Dad told me to watch The Great Escape, I LOVED it!! Then my Aunt gave me the complete series of Wanted Dead or Alive!! I feel like I've always loved Steve and I know I always will!!! I haven't seen all of his movies, but I want to see every single one!!! :love2:

Cami
I believe in me. I'm a little screwed up but I'm beautiful.
McQueenLover14
Bandito

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:47 pm

McQueenLover14 wrote:I just recently became a fan!!! My first McQueen movie was The Magnificent Seven, what really made him stand out in that film for me was his blond hair, blue eyes, and his charm! The scene that made me fall in love was when he rides shotgun on the hearse with Yul! Since then I have gotten addicted to Steve!!! My Dad told me to watch The Great Escape, I LOVED it!! Then my Aunt gave me the complete series of Wanted Dead or Alive!! I feel like I've always loved Steve and I know I always will!!! I haven't seen all of his movies, but I want to see every single one!!! :love2:

Cami

Welcome Cami :D Keep us updated on your movie watching! I'd love to hear your thoughts on Steve's other films :D
Darren

Next

Return to The Films of Steve McQueen